Farewell to the old website location

It has finally happened. The old location of my website Rarebird’s Rock and Roll Rarity Reviews has completely ceased to exist. In case you didn’t know, the site has been moved to http://rarebird9.net . From its creation in May 1999 up until this past February, the site was hosted by the AT&T Personal Web Pages service. I moved the site on February 20th, after AT&T notified its members that their web page service would be discontinued as of March 31st. For six weeks, I was able to use the pages of the old site as redirect pages which brought visitors to the new site. As of April 8th, the old AT&T-hosted site finally disappeared.

One disadvantage to the site move is that many potential visitors may have a harder time finding the site, now that the redirecting pages are gone. The good news is that most of the major search engines have indexed the new site. The bad news is that many other websites on the internet have linked to the old site, and many of them will now have dead links. In some cases, this can be changed. But in many cases, it probably can’t be helped.

If you are a webmaster who has linked to my site in the past: first of all, I want to thank you for doing so. Secondly, I hope you will find it worthwhile to update the links to the corresponding URLs now located at http://rarebird9.net .

I also want to thank everyone who has visited the site over the past eleven years. I hope that you will continue to visit and enjoy the new site.

Last but not least, I want to give special thanks to AT&T Worldnet Service for hosting the site for its first ten-and-a-half years, and for providing the tools that enabled a web design amateur to create the site from scratch in 1999. I hope that other webmasters who used the AT&T Personal Web Pages service have found other hosting solutions.

Comments