Mazzy Star - "I'm Less Here" (Record Store Day single)

After ending a 17-year recording hiatus with their 2013 album Seasons Of Your Day, the alternative dream-pop duo Mazzy Star -- vocalist Hope Sandoval and guitarist David Roback -- next issued a 7-inch vinyl single on Record Store Day in 2014, consisting of two previously unreleased tracks: "I'm Less Here" and "Things". Colm Ó Cíosóig, the drummer from My Bloody Valentine and Sandoval’s collaborator in the Warm Inventions, is also credited with playing on the single. The RSD single was pressed in “Coke bottle clear” transparent vinyl, and was limited to 3,000 copies.

“I’m Less Here” is a song that the duo has previously performed live under the name “It Speaks Of Distance”. The song certainly does speak of that, as Sandoval’s eerie vocal icily addresses the emotional detachment between her and a lover. Roback’s guitar gives the song an ominous acoustic folk backdrop. The B-side “Things” has a dreamy, reverb-heavy guitar sound, combining with Sandoval’s gentle crooning to create a trancelike aura. Pure melancholy heaven.


Mazzy Star - I'm Less Here / Things

Mazzy Star “I’m Less Here” (b/w “Things”) (Rhymes Of An Hour single Rhymes 005) 2014

Track Listing:

1. I’m Less Here
2. Things

Comments