David Gilmour at 1970 Isle Of Wight Festival

"In 1970 I went as a punter, but was rowed in by Charlie Watkins to help mix (Jimi) Hendrix's sound. A photograph of me at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 was in a Sunday paper, possibly The Sunday Times, within the last year, in an article about 60s fashion, although they did not realise it was me." - David Gilmour of Pink Floyd in a letter to Vic King, Isle of Wight Rock Archives.

I find this quote by Gilmour interesting. The instrumental version of "Amazing Grace" that played over the PA system at that festival was played by someone called the Great Awakening, which Relix magazine said was "rumored to consist of a well-known but mysterious guitarist". Could that guitarist have been Gilmour? I think he may have been, because the guitar sound on that recording reminds me of the guitar sound on Pink Floyd's 1971 album Meddle. This is only speculation on my part. Does anyone know if I'm right or wrong?

9/23/14 update: I've finally learned that my theory was incorrect. The All Music Guide website now offers this information:

This little-known band made a brief impression in 1969 with an outstanding instrumental version of ‘Amazing Grace’, long before Judy Collins popularized the song. The mantra-like fuzz guitar added a spiritual quality that was missing from later versions. So little was known of the group that they were often referred to as Amazing Grace, and the song as ‘The Great Awakening’! For years it was thought that the man responsible was guitarist David Cohen from Country Joe And The Fish; others suggested it was by members of the Band. Later it was discovered that it was a different David Cohen, helped out by Joe Osborn (bass) and Jimmy Gordon (drums). The latter Cohen has worked as session guitarist for Bobby Darin, Tim Hardin and Frank Sinatra.


Sorry I couldn't provide this information sooner.


Rarebird's Spotlight Album Review #7: Message To Love: The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970:
http://rarebird9.net/isleofwight.html

Comments