Happy anniversary to me

Well! It was six years ago today that I first made my website, Rarebird's Rock and Roll Rarity Reviews, viewable to the public. It was May 31st, 1999, and my site contained reviews of six albums by four artists. Now, it contains about 250 reviews of recordings by over 40 artists. I didn't know how long it would last; many personal websites don't stay up as long as mine. I must say I am proud of my site. I hadn't realized how much I had accomplished until about a year ago, when I updated my entire site so that album titles would appear in bold print instead of quotation marks. I found that there was a lot to update after five years of site building!

The site started small, based on a few little-known albums I wanted to publish info and opinions about on the net (i.e. the post-Morrison Doors albums, Buckingham Nicks, the Velvet Underground's Squeeze), and ideas just kept coming. I had no idea that I would end up with over 35 artist-based pages. Over the last three years, I haven't added that many new artist-based pages, because they are becoming harder to maintain. More albums from these artists end up going out of print, and then I feel I should add reviews of those albums to the page. I once started to create a page about a well-known, long-running band (whose name I won't mention) who then had seven out-of-print albums. Before I was even close to finishing that page, about half-a-dozen more albums from that group were suddenly deleted! I scrapped that page altogether to avoid future headaches.

So, in early 2003, I began to write spotlight reviews of single albums that have interested me. It has made the site easier and less time-consuming to update, and these spotlight reviews are closer to what I originally envisioned the site to consist of.

Anyway, I want to end this self-congratulatory post by saying thank you to everyone who has visited the site, provided input, and supported the site in any way. It's been fun keeping the site up for these last six years, and I hope to keep it up for many more.

Rarebird's Rock and Roll Rarity Reviews
http://rarebird9.net

Comments